Simplifying data to enable better decision making
I am an experienced senior/executive leader having held senior management and executive leadership roles since 2007. I retired from my most recent role as Methanex New Zealand, Director of Manufacturing in December 2019, after a successful career delivering growth opportunities, improving business performance and safety culture, in a number of different roles over 34 years.
I am an experienced facilitator, coach and mentor and an excellent communicator able to share vision with passion at all levels within an organisation.
Methanex Corporation is the largest supplier of Methanol into global markets and Methanex New Zealand is one of six manufacturing hubs contributing ~20-25% of total Methanex production.
During my career at Methanex I also benefited from international experience. This included a relocation to Canada for 18 months as plant manager of a methanol plant in Medicine Hat. I have also had a number of short-term assignments in Trinidad and Chile.
As Methanex New Zealand, Director of Manufacturing, I was responsible for the overall business performance/results of three methanol plants (producing up to 2.2 million tonnes per year), located in two separate sites, along with their associated storage, transportation and loading facilities.
During this time, I was also one of three Directors for Methanex NZ Ltd and an active member of the Methanex Global Manufacturing Team.
A fitter and turner, (millwright), by trade I achieved success as an executive leader working at all levels within the organisation, learning invaluable lessons at the coal face early in my career and honing these skills as I progressed to more senior roles. These life lessons were also supported by professional development at each turn.
I have proven executive leadership skills in the following areas:
• Executive management and oversight of multiple, upper tier major hazard facilities with 260 employees supported by 150-200 contractors on a daily basis and up to 1,200 contractors during major plant turnarounds. Total asset replacement value ~US$2.6B.
• Change management for improved business performance and growth including organisational structural changes, developing high performing teams and improved IT support systems.
• Annual budget development and cost control for fixed costs, variable costs, capital expenditure and turnarounds. (~NZ$500 million – $700 million).
• Strategic planning, facilitation and performance monitoring of critical business processes.
• Process safety management.
• Health and safety management.
• Production and plant efficiency.
• Asset integrity, maintenance, engineering and reliability management.
• Quality, security and environmental management.
• Regulatory compliance management.
• Capital project management up to NZ$240 million.
• Performance management, talent management, bench depth and succession planning.
Prior to moving into more senior roles, I held a number of roles within the maintenance department including that of Maintenance Manager. During this time I was also the leader of the Methanex Global Maintenance Management Team and later I was the executive sponsor of this team.